History of the Bavarian Army Museum
In 1879, King Ludwig II founded the Museum at the instigation of General Friedrich von Bothmers and War Minister Joseph Maximilian von Maillinger. At first, it was accommodated in the arsenal in Munich (today Lothstrasse), and then from 1904 in the newly constructed monumental building at the Hofgarten (today the Bavarian State Chancellery). The original permanent exhibition (since 1905) showed weapons and trophies from Bavarian army history and exhibits from Franconian and Swabian arsenals. In 1936, an exhibition addressing the First World War was presented for the first time, displaying items collected since 1918. During and after the Second World War the collection was greatly depleted, as the Museum lost about a third of its inventory as a result of theft and destruction.
The Allied Military Administration had the Museum closed in 1945 and handed over its stocks to the Bavarian National Museum. It was not until 1963 that it was re-established by Ministerial decree and the New Castle in Ingolstadt was chosen as its site. The move was made in 1969, and the exhibition in the New Castle was opened in 1972.
During the 1990s, the Museum annexed the Reduit Tilly, a fortified structure on the south side of the Danube. It was here that the permanent exhibition on "The First World War" was opened in 1994.
At the end of 2011 in the Turm Triva the Bavarian Police Museum was opened. Here you can see the history of the bavarian police from 1918/19 to the present days.